Winter Wedding Cake

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Train Baby Shower Cake


     This past Christmas, I received a William-Sonoma train cake pan.  I was excited to receive it an wanted to use it, but knew that it would be too much work to just make it for myself.   I waited for the perfect reason to use it.  After waiting what seems like forever, I finally got a request for a train cake!  Within a day, the second train cake request came in.  The first cake was due today.  I have another one due next weekend. 
     The first train cake that I was asked to do was for a baby shower today.  I used a picture of the baby bedding to choose the colors for each of the train cars. 

I started by mixing the cake mix for the train cars from scratch.  It takes a little different cake mix to make this because it needs to be sturdy and able to hold the icing well.  I followed the directions provided with the pan, and filled the pan to the top of the well.  I would  leave a little space next time, as the cake spread a little and ended up needing to be trimmed up after baking.    I then trimmed the edges to separate the train cars and began to decorate them seperately.

I used the colors from the crib set in this cake.  Colors included red, blue, green, yellow, orange and black.  I decided to use some chocolate chips and some brown sugar in the cargo train cars.  Below, you can see the car with the chocolate chips and the brown sugar.  I thought that M & Ms would have been really cute as well, but my kiddos ate them before I was able to get them on the train!

I was almost finished and was in the home stretch.  I decided to create a train track and trim the cake in plain white icing.  I didn't want to take away from the train itself.  I then sprinkled the top of the cake with opal sanding sugar for a little sparkle... and voila! 

I was sooo excited with the finished project.

Can't wait to see what I can do with the train cake next weekend! 
I think this is one pan that I can use over and over for an original look every time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment