Winter Wedding Cake

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Back to Business!

Well, I have done a little of my own rehabilitation lately with my wrist.  I have almost gotten my entire range of motion back in just a little under 2 weeks.  :)  I am very excited to be back at working with cakes and am sooo happy that I have a few more wedding cake consults coming up in the next couple weeks. 

This past weekend was a crazy one!  I made one cake for Friday night that had a softball design.  It wasn't anything too original and crazy, but it turned out just the way I had hoped.  Just after dropping off the softball theme cake, I began work on a two tier cake for the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet that was taking place on Sat. 

My son was earning his bear badge, which is very exciting.  Blue and Gold is a more formal scouting event.  We get together to celebrate the birthday of scouting, as well as the accomplishments of the kids over the course of the year.  They boys strive to earn their rank by the time that the Blue and Gold rolls around.  We were also celebrating the 100th year of scouting.  After RSVP count for the big event, we were expecting roughly 150 people to attend.   I decided on a square, 2 tier cake in white and dark chocolate fudge.  I did a little research to decide exactly what kind of design I should go with for the occasion.  I found a badge online that the boys would be receiving for attending the Blue and Gold banquet.  I decided to utilize this as my focal point on the top of the cake.  I decorated the cake with white icing and accented in blue and gold.  I delivered the cake to the church hall where the dinner was being held and set things up.  I tried to take a picture, however, my camera decided to be difficult and had an error reading.  Someone else took the photos and will be sending them to me shortly.  I'll add the pictures at that time.    I spent the afternoon and part of the evening enjoying the company of the cub scout family and we cleaned up around 7:30.  I was headed home to begin the third and most difficult cake of the weekend. 

I had a two tier, marble cake to create for a baby shower.  I was making this cake for someone that I went to high school with and whom I had never made a cake for before.  She wanted a jungle theme cake similar to one that I had made in the past.  It featured fondant accents of jungle animals, polka dots and fondant shoes on the top.  I began icing the cake at approx. 10:30.  I then realized I had run out of the butter necessary to make the icing.  Grrr..I was a little moody, but headed to the grocery store for the butter and a couple bags of donuts that the kiddos could have for breakfast.  I just knew it would be a LONG night.  :)  I rolled the fondant and created all the little creatures, etc. for the sides of the cake.  This is a fairly easy process, it just takes time and the right consistency of fondant.  Things went well til I got to the shoes.  I worked on the shoes for a solid hour and a half.. and finally, decided that since it was 3:30...I was going to add a bow accent to the top of the cake instead.  I would rather alter the cake slightly and make it elegant and a slight variation of the original than to risk the shoes not looking as nice on the top of the cake.  In the end, I feel it was the best choice to make with this situation.  Below is a picture of the original cake that I made.  The new cake looks much the same, only with a bow on top.  :)  I'll try to upload a picture of that one soon.  :)


Now... I am apparently an absolute crazy lady.. but, immediately following the pickup of this order, I started cake 4 for the weekend.  This one was for a special customer.  A little over nine years ago I gave birth to this special customer of mine.  He wanted a special birthday cake which represented his interest in wrestling.  He was recently bummed to hear that his favorite wrestler, Jeff Hardy, had left the WWE.  We decided that we would create a cake that had a pendant design on it.  He was insistant that he needed a two layer cake with chocolate and white cake.  White on the top layer and chocolate on the bottom layer.  The colors were to be blue and bright neon green.  He did some research and printed off a picture for me to "refer to."  Using the picture, I created the cake design below and he LOVED it!


Of course, we had to explain the theme to most guests, since not everyone is a true Jeff Hardy fan!  Lastly...we added a 9 candle to the cake... that upon request as well.  :)  Happy Birthday Seth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment