Winter Wedding Cake

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thinking outside the box....

Yesterday I met with a bride and groom to go over the contract, design their cake, and collect their deposit.  I was so excited that they decided to think outside the box a little.  Most couples go with the traditional white cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake combination.  Those flavors are all fine and good, but it's exciting to see couples who think outside the box and try something different.  It's happened a few times recently. 
The couple, Kasey and Zach, came for a tasting here a few weeks back.  It was a crazy cake weekend and I had sooo much to do.  I had several cakes to do that weekend, and had some cake that was left over from a custom cake.  I cut the leftover pieces into squares and used it for their tasting cake.  It was funfetti cake.  I was a little worried about their response, but I knew that the cake was fresh, moist, and quick.  I put it out there and explained that it was a busy weekend and that I created a funfetti tasting cake for them.  They tried the cake.. and within a week or so, they called to schedule yesterday's meeting to finalize their cake plans!  I was really happy.  (This couple will be married on June 12th, the same day that Ron and I celebrate 11 years of marriage!  I think that is really cool!)  They decided to go with a 4 tier cake. To my surprise, they ordered funfetti cake for ALL layers.  I am so glad that I went with my gut and created their tasting cake with what I had available.  It worked out great for them and certainly helped me with time and budget!

Here are a couple other cakes that have been ordered recently that are different and demontrate a little creativity.

This cake was for my friend's daughter, Emma.  She is quite a princess and has recently spent time with her princess friends at Disneyland in California.  She met Belle personally and came home to hold her own royal ball for her birthday.  She served her guests this cake which featured Belle.  Princesses from all over the area came to wish Emma "Happy Birthday".  This cake included edible pearls as a walkway for the princess as she walks through a grassy area.  The sides of the one layer, petal shaped, base cake were decorated with purple ruffles and red roses.   By adding the one layer cake to the bottom, we were able to accommodate more guests and add a little extra detail to the average "doll cake."


This Lego cake was actually ordered by the birthday boy himself.  A couple weeks before his birthday, Chris called and ordered this cake.  He knew exactly what he wanted.  He was specific with his color choices and told me how he wanted each lego to be positioned.  I used 3 actual legos and made these to scale.  They were all three covered in marshmallow fondant.  At the Lego Party, matching balloons, tableware, and lego building sets for each guest, made this cake a very appropriate addition.

This cake was created for a 16th surprise birthday party.  The cake has a variety of cake flavors and is bright and festive for such a fun occasion.  I used a butterfly pick found in the floral section at a local hobby store for the center butterfly.  Fondant was used to make the 16 topper, and ostrich feathers were used to bring out the colors in the rear of the cake.  Ribbon and other beaded floral picks were used to create a more whimsical look for this cake. 

It's always nice to see what ideas my customers come up with.  I love new and exciting requests and look forward to seeing what people will come up with next.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! delicious kristy cakes. valuable information on Cake Flavors for Weddings. Today the cake is part of the celebration. Every happy moment is celebrated by throwing a cake slice. Thanks for your valuable information. We look forward to more information.

    ReplyDelete