Winter Wedding Cake

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wedding Cakes of 2009

I had several wedding cakes this year, which was really exciting for me.  Wedding cakes are my favorite type to make.  They are each unique and somehow represent the couple.  I tried several new things this year.  Here are some of my favorite cakes of the year. 
This cake was for a summer wedding.  It is a three tier creation with cornelli lace covering the three layers.  The florist left the flowers for me to work with and incorporate and with the help of a friend, I feel that it truly turned out to be a simple, yet elegant cake for this "picnic/summer" themed cake.  The tables were all decorated with the checkered print napkins.  Just to set the mood, a few plastic ants were placed at the center of every table... thankfully...not on the cake table though.

This cake isn't a wedding cake, but instead, a groom's cake.  I thought it would be appropriate to put it here in the wedding section since I'll be featuring this bride and groom's cake next.  The groom was an avid hunter.  This cake was ordered by the bride's mom and was a suprise to both of them at the rehearsal dinner.  Groom's cakes are becoming more popular and are usually of the chocolate variety.

This cake has a burgundy cornelli lace over white buttercream.  The silicone heart at the top required quite a bit of support.  Just after leaving this cake at the reception hall, I was called back to fix some damage that had occured.  People setting up the reception hall had moved the cake table and caused the heart to fall down the backside of the cake.  Luckily, I was still nearby and able to return quickly and fix any noticable issues prior to the reception.  Whew!

This is one of my favorite wedding cake creations!  I absolutely love fall weddings and I enjoyed everything about working on this cake.  I worked closely with my friend, Alysha, on her wedding.  She decided on this cake and I recommended this base, which I had used in another wedding.  The base is hand made by my friend's husband.  Shortly after I returned the base to my friend, it was going to be made into a table for his daughter, as a wonderful reminder of their wedding day.  I hope to have another one made just like it since it is such a great complement to square based cakes!  The mini pumpkins and gourds are real and the silk leaves around the base really brought out the fall theme.  The wedding and reception were held in a rustic barn that was just perfect for a fall wedding.

This cake was originally to be made this coming July.  The groom is in the military and left this month for orders.  The couple moved their wedding up to December.  This is buttercream, smoothed to present itself like fondant.  The couple didn't care for the fondant at all.  They did opt to use marshmallow fondant for the swirles and heart accents.  I rolled the fondant into the various accent shapes and then allowed them to dry for a few.  I then used silver petal dust in a small amount of vodka to paint the accents.  It was really cool to watch the "paint" dry quickly as the vodka just kinda evaporated.  I then added some round pearl border and the drop leaf flowers scattered about on the cake.  A few weeks later I received a very nice thank you note from the bride and groom.  I was so glad that they enjoyed the cake!

Well, my snow day is winding to a close and it's time to get kids ready for bed just in case we aren't home again tomorrow.  More cakes to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment